Computational Biologist/Senior Computational Biologist
Welcome to the Post Pollution Future with LanzaTech
A post-pollution world is inevitable, and people will either be part of it, or the planet will go on without us. At LanzaTech, our technology platform is transforming waste carbon into everyday products, to meet the needs of this moment. Our science is state-of-the-art, but the idea is simple. We use nature to heal nature. We capture carbon emissions which are then fed into bioreactors where trillions of carbon-hungry microbes go to work. These tiny dynamos consume the waste gases and produce valuable raw material commodities. Pure enough to be resold, repurposed, and recycled again — from sustainable jet fuel to beverage bottles, to yoga pants.
Founded in New Zealand, we are a global women-led company with an international footprint and a diverse employee population. Diversity, Equity & Inclusion are a key part of our mission and core values which we show through our hiring, our leadership, our efforts to educate internally and willingness to learn.
Now a publicly traded company on NASDAQ, come join the team as we strive to make a Post Pollution Future!
Exciting collaborations with LanzaTech (LT) CarbonSmartTM Products:
- 2022 – H&M announced their collaboration with LT with a clothing line to be launched in 2023
- 2022 – Coty, Inc. – LT recycled carbon ethanol to be used in majority of fragrance portfolio by 2023
- 2022 – DrogerieMark (dm) in Germany, launched a range of packaging for their “Denk Mit” range of dish soap
- 2022 – Danone announced a collaboration to make packaging for the Mizone water line in China
- 2022 – Craghoppers, UK outdoor company, made a fleece from recycled carbon, to be launched in 2023
- 2021 – Collaborations with ZARA, lululemon & L’Oréal using recycled carbon in their apparel & packaging
- 2022 – Winner of “Air” Category at the 23rd Annual Energy Globe Awards
- 2022 – Fix Our Climate finalist for Earthshot Prize (only US company to be a finalist)
- 2022 – Jennifer Holmgren, CEO: TiE Sustainability Entrepreneur of the Year
- 2021 – Biofuels Digest #1 Hottest Company in Renewable Fuels, Chemicals & Biomaterials
Interested in learning more? Visit us at www.LanzaTech.com and download/stream our latest CarbonSmartTM Podcast on Apple, Google, Spotify or wherever you receive your podcasts!
This position is open to candidates authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employer. LanzaTech is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.
About the role
As part of the Systems Biology team, you will work closely with bioinformatics analysts, wet-lab scientists, and software engineers to play a critical role in the knowledge discovery process for our biocatalyst.
Your work will focus on developing and applying computational pipelines for processing, transforming, mining, and interpreting multi-omics datasets to facilitate a systems-level understanding of our microbes. You will also work to optimize data quality and implement automated bioinformatics analyses to support Synthetic Biology high-throughput workflows. A detail-oriented individual with strong fundamental knowledge in prokaryotic molecular biology and next-generation sequencing (NGS) technologies and a background in building novel bioinformatics workflows, algorithms, and analyses will excel in this role. With your strong communication skills, you will work effectively across highly technical interdisciplinary teams. As a member of the team, you will mentor and train others as needed on programmatic analysis of omics results, which include genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics, and metabolomics.
- Work closely with others in the Systems Biology team to design, implement, execute, and document reproducible computational pipelines for genome sequencing, RNAseq, proteomics, metabolomics and other omics data types.
- Update existing infrastructure and databases to process, store, and access all omics data types.
- Create and maintain genome annotation pipelines and databases. Develop and/or implement tools to integrate and analyze multi-omics data to gain meaningful insights.
- Create and maintain a Python omics utilities library for programmatic analysis.
- Work closely with other R&D departments to develop and train scientists to use computational biology infrastructure and tools for bioinformatics analyses.
- Clearly communicate results and recommendations through reports and presentations.
- Continually improve required skills and knowledge.
- PhD degree from a quantitative field (bioinformatics, computer science, statistics).
- Strong knowledge in molecular biology, synthetic biology experimentation, and next-generation sequencing.
- Strong interdisciplinary communication skills.
- Competency in leading technical efforts.
- Ability to translate biological questions into computational solutions.
- Software development experience with Python and proficiency working in a Unix environment.
- Experience with workflow management systems and containerization solutions, such as Luigi and Docker.
- Experience in designing databases and constructing SQL queries.
- Extensive experience with common bioinformatics tools (like Bowtie2, Samtools, etc).
Preferred and Valued Qualifications
- Five years of post-degree experience.
- Experience working with proteomics and metabolomics data.
- Experience working with R.
- Experience performing complex meta-analyses on extensive omics datasets including network and gene set enrichment analyses.
- Familiarity with genome-scale metabolic model construction and applications.
- Familiarity with machine learning techniques.