Principal Scientist / Principal Engineer - Analytics
Welcome to the Post Pollution Future with LanzaTech
A post-pollution world is inevitable, and people will either be part of it, or the planet will go on without us. At LanzaTech, our technology platform is transforming waste carbon into everyday products, to meet the needs of this moment. Our science is state-of-the-art, but the idea is simple. We use nature to heal nature. We capture carbon emissions which are then fed into bioreactors where trillions of carbon-hungry microbes go to work. These tiny dynamos consume the waste gases and produce valuable raw material commodities. Pure enough to be resold, repurposed, and recycled again — from sustainable jet fuel to beverage bottles, to yoga pants.
Founded in New Zealand, we are a global women-led company with an international footprint and a diverse employee population. Diversity, Equity & Inclusion are a key part of our mission and core values which we show through our hiring, our leadership, our efforts to educate internally and willingness to learn.
In addition, we have announced our plan to merge with AMCI Acquisition Corp. II and expect to become a publicly traded company on Nasdaq. Come join the team as we strive to make a Post Pollution Future!
Exciting collaborations with LanzaTech (LT) CarbonSmartTM Products:
- 2022 – Coty, Inc. – LT recycled carbon ethanol to be used in majority of fragrance portfolio by 2023
- 2021 – ZARA – cutting edge, high fashion black dresses made from LT recycled carbon
- 2021 – lululemon – sports apparel made from LT Recycled carbon
- 2021 – L’Oréal – partnership to make packaging with LT recycled carbon
- 2021 – Biofuels Digest #1 Hottest Company in Renewable Fuels, Chemicals & Biomaterials
- 2020 – Biofuels Digest #3 Best Company to work for in the Advanced Bioeconomy
- 2020 – Fast Company World Changing Company
- 2020 – CNBC #43 on Top 50 Disrupter Companies list
This position is open to candidates authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employer. LanzaTech is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.
About the role
We have an exciting opportunity for a motivated, well-organized, Scientist or Engineer to join the Analytics team centered in Skokie, IL! This position is an excellent opportunity for an individual experienced in project execution and team leadership to grow and leverage their core strengths across a global team of highly skilled Process Analytical Scientists, as well as interact directly with project teams and cultures across the globe. The candidate will lead the Process Analytics Team and its activities. The candidate will work collaboratively with the Process Analytics, Global Services, and Engineering teams to support LanzaTech commercial efforts, as well as design and deploy modular analytical process monitoring equipment at customer sites around the world. In addition, this role will serve as the primary contact for our internal Engineering and Business Development teams regarding Analytics offerings and support analytical solutions and products on site. The position will require international travel to EPC, partners, and customer sites, including steel mills and refineries.
- Prioritize, organize, and effectively manage the Process Analytics Team
- Tracks team project status, sets team goals, conducts team members’ performance reviews, and drives completion of deliverables
- Coordinates with the team to ensure projects are adequately staffed and team members are adequately equipped for the job
- Leads value engineering efforts for the Process Analytics team
- Drives continuous improvement in safety across the team and analytics modular products
- Lead interactions with internal Engineering and Business Development groups
- Works with Project Managers and Business Development to understand all aspects of project requirements and build strong interdepartmental ties
- Ensures analytical needs are included in project discussions early on
- Simplifies highly technical data and communicates it effectively to PMs, BD, etc.
- Coordinates FEED and BEP document delivery and assists in review of customer documentation
- Contribute to the design, build and deployment of modular Analytical products
- HAZOPs, risk identification and mitigation activities,
- Provide onsite guidance, training, and support for LanzaTech Analytics products at commercial and pilot facilities
- Setup and operation of specialty analytical testing equipment
- Provides training and guidance to internal and external customers in the operation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of analytical systems
- Works with plant personnel to troubleshoot operations and identify future system improvements
- PhD degree in related STEM field plus 5+ years of relevant experience, or BS degree plus 10+ years of relevant experience, or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated success in project management and team leadership
- Experience in working on sites employing industrial safety practices such as PSM and participating in PSM related activities (HAZOPs, PSSR, etc.)
- Experience with the creation of unit standard operating procedures, emergency operating procedures, and/or operating manuals
- Familiarity with industrial sampling systems and process analytical analyzers
- Excellent interpersonal skills, possessing a high degree of professionalism and relationship building skills
- Proven experience in managing and evaluating equipment suppliers, engineering firms, and subcontractors to ensure project schedule, budget, and quality requirements are met
- Experience with quality control protocols throughout project execution
- Self-motivated with the ability to take initiative, work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to apply engineering fundamentals and industry best practices to solve problems
- Proactively support continuous improvement processes by developing and recommending changes
- Varied educational or industry lab experiences, enabling the development of new and creative approaches to difficult problems
- Ability to work on multiple and simultaneous projects as part of a team in a global, fast-paced, entrepreneurial setting where priorities may change quickly
- Ability to interface and effectively communicate with co-workers and customers from diverse backgrounds and educational levels.
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally up to 20% as needed to provide project support.
- Experience and knowledge of analytical techniques including HPLC, Process MS, GC, and IR
- Familiarity with hazardous area classification certification (FM, CSA, IECEx, ATEX, etc.) and with the use of PLC and DCS systems
- Experience with gaseous and aqueous process streams
- Experience in ASTM, EPA, and/or EN characterization methods
- Experienced with engineering, statistical, and automation software (e.g. LabVIEW, Aspen Plus, Six Sigma)
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Prolonged periods of standing/walking in the lab and field
- Some assignments may require working in hot environments
- Ability to wear respiratory protection
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds at times
- Office and home
- Industrial sites