Principal Process Engineer - UK Based
Welcome to the Post Pollution Future with LanzaTech
A post-pollution world is inevitable, and people will either be part of it, or the planet will go on without us. At LanzaTech, our technology platform is transforming waste carbon into everyday products, to meet the needs of this moment. Our science is state-of-the-art, but the idea is simple. We use nature to heal nature. We capture carbon emissions which are then fed into bioreactors where trillions of carbon-hungry microbes go to work. These tiny dynamos consume the waste gases and produce valuable raw material commodities. Pure enough to be resold, repurposed, and recycled again — from sustainable jet fuel to beverage bottles, to yoga pants.
Founded in New Zealand, we are a global women-led company with an international footprint and a diverse employee population. Diversity, Equity & Inclusion are a key part of our mission and core values which we show through our hiring, our leadership, our efforts to educate internally and willingness to learn.
In addition, we have announced our plan to merge with AMCI Acquisition Corp. II and expect to become a publicly traded company on Nasdaq. Come join the team as we strive to make a Post Pollution Future!
Exciting collaborations with LanzaTech (LT) CarbonSmartTM Products:
- 2022 – Coty, Inc. – LT recycled carbon ethanol to be used in majority of fragrance portfolio by 2023
- 2021 – ZARA – cutting edge, high fashion black dresses made from LT recycled carbon
- 2021 – lululemon – sports apparel made from LT Recycled carbon
- 2021 – L’Oréal – partnership to make packaging with LT recycled carbon
- 2021 – Biofuels Digest #1 Hottest Company in Renewable Fuels, Chemicals & Biomaterials
- 2020 – Biofuels Digest #3 Best Company to work for in the Advanced Bioeconomy
- 2020 – Fast Company World Changing Company
- 2020 – CNBC #43 on Top 50 Disrupter Companies list
LanzaTech is looking for a motivated, high energy, well-organized, collaborative Principal Process Engineer to support the commercialization of the innovative Ethanol to Sustainable Jet and Diesel process in Europe. This will include collaborating with third party engineering contractors and other partners to lead and deliver FEED and project phase engineering from a process technology perspective through commissioning and start up. This will include the evaluation of process mass & energy balances, utility consumption, input for life cycle and sustainability analyses, equipment specifications, piping plans, P&IDs, PFDs, and instrument specifications for a LanzaTech Alcohol to Jet (ATJ) production plant. Following start-up of the plant(s) the Principal Process Engineer will lead process innovation, process optimization, and implementation of thermochemical processes, interacting with the team responsible for monitoring, improving, and supporting daily site operations of the production facility. The Principal Process Engineer will initially be working in a small project focused team with a mix of remote and in-person work and will lead 2-3 other Process Engineers.
Specific Job Function:
- Represent LanzaTech’s process technology capabilities, proposing technical solutions to meet partner and customers’ needs for sustainable aviation and renewable diesel fuels.
- Lead the process design and project development activities, including working directly with the EPC contractor and package vendors to verify that the plant design and fabrication meet LanzaTech and industry specifications.
- Lead coordination with partner and host site technical and management staff during site planning, implementation, and operations.
- Ensure quality through the implementation of rigorous project management and design reviews.
- Review submittals, answer RFIs, and complete field visits to verify process and work is proceeding according to design.
- Understand the process hazards present at the site and formulate plans with the site team to reduce the likelihood of these hazards impacting personnel, site assets, the community at large.
- Ensure the effective integration of ATJ plant in brownfield and/or greenfield installation.
- Initial responsibilities include:
- leading design reviews,
- supporting the build out of the first plant team,
- ensuring safety is a priority and embedded in processes and culture,
- working with the Technical team to support fully implementing Hazop findings into the design,
- developing plans and material to complete training certification of operators and support team in the technology and operation of the facility,
- enabling all aspects of project commissioning & start-up for upgrading ethanol into final commercial products and
- working jointly with the existing site organization to ensure facility and site operations are in alignment.
- Lead in the continuous improvement effort of LanzaTech’s ATJ process operations
- Drive business initiatives and continuous improvement efforts for world class performance in safety, yield, uptime, quality, capacity utilization, and minimization of environmental footprint.
- 15+ years industrial experience in a refinery, petrochemical, or chemical plant in a process engineering role.
- Strong entrepreneurial spirit with the desire to continuously develop as an individual and team.
- Self-motivated with the ability to take initiative, work independently and in a team environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills and team player mentality with proven ability to work well in cross-functional, international, and diverse teams.
- Strong organizational, experimental, problem solving, and troubleshooting skills with ability to parse complex technical problems.
- Advanced knowledge and experience with specification and operation of heat exchange equipment, pressure vessels, distillation columns, and rotating equipment.
- Advanced knowledge of process instrumentation, control valves, and control loops.
- Experience in a Lead Engineer role on a major project.
- Experience with commissioning and start-up of process units.
- Knowledge of safe work practices, EU/ISO and environmental rules and regulations.
- Experience in monitoring and maintaining plant mass and energy balances and performing yield calculations in support of performance tests and test runs.
- 20+ years industrial experience in a refinery, petrochemical, or chemical plant in a process engineering role.
- Experienced with the use of industry standard simulation program such as Aspen Plus, HYSYS, or similar process modeling software for optimization and equipment-specific design or monitoring.
- Experience with commissioning and start-up of commercial catalytic process units.
- Experience of Greenfield and Brownfield projects
- Experience of environmental permitting and COMAH.
- Experience with the creation of unit standard operating procedures, emergency operating procedures, and/or operating manuals.
- Sound knowledge of DCS/PLC systems and control loops.
- Experience in kinetic, transport, and reaction engineering modeling with a commercial focus in refining, petrochemical, and/or gas processing applications.
- Proficiency in several other Chemical Engineering subdisciplines including reactor design, process instrumentation, control loops, fluid flow, and separations.
- Six Sigma or Lean methodology training a plus
- LanzaTech UK and key partners are based in the UK.
- Employment will be through LanzaTech UK
- LanzaTech have established their UK office in Guildford, Surrey. This would be the home office for this role.
- The LanzaTech have a flexible approach to working and this person would be expected to attend the home office in person weekly and may work remotely from home at other times as commitments allow.
- During the project development and execution phases the person in this role will be required to travel regularly to the UK Engineering contractors’ offices for engineering interface management and reviews. Some travel to the job site will also be required and that would increase as the project enters commissioning.
- Some, infrequent, international travel to the USA and Europe is also foreseen.
- BS in Chemical Engineering is preferred but consideration will be given to other engineering degrees based on actual experience
- Some global and/or regional travel is required.
- Work at industrial site for project and future plant operation’s needs.
- Chartered Engineer / Professional Engineering license preferred
This position is open to candidates authorized to work in the United Kingdom on a full-time basis for any employer. LanzaTech UK is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, or national origin