Scientist - Synthetic Biology
Welcome to the Post Pollution Future with LanzaTech
A post-pollution world is inevitable, and people will either be part of it, or the planet will go on without us. At LanzaTech, our technology platform is transforming waste carbon into everyday products, to meet the needs of this moment. Our science is state-of-the-art, but the idea is simple. We use nature to heal nature. We capture carbon emissions which are then fed into bioreactors where trillions of carbon-hungry microbes go to work. These tiny dynamos consume the waste gases and produce valuable raw material commodities. Pure enough to be resold, repurposed, and recycled again — from sustainable jet fuel to beverage bottles, to yoga pants.
Founded in New Zealand, we are a global women-led company with an international footprint and a diverse employee population. Diversity, Equity & Inclusion are a key part of our mission and core values which we show through our hiring, our leadership, our efforts to educate internally and willingness to learn.
In addition, we have announced our plan to merge with AMCI Acquisition Corp. II and expect to become a publicly traded company on Nasdaq. Come join the team as we strive to make a Post Pollution Future!
- Exciting collaborations with LanzaTech (LT) CarbonSmartTM Products:
- 2022 – Coty, Inc. – LT recycled carbon ethanol to be used in majority of fragrance portfolio by 2023
- 2021 – ZARA – cutting edge, high fashion black dresses made from LT recycled carbon
- 2021 – lululemon – yoga pants & running shorts made from LT Recycled carbon
- 2021 – L’Oréal – partnership to make packaging with LT recycled carbon
- 2021 – Biofuels Digest #1 Hottest Company in Renewable Fuels, Chemicals & Biomaterials
- 2020 – Biofuels Digest #3 Best Company to work for in the Advanced Bioeconomy
- 2020 – Fast Company World Changing Company
- 2020 – CNBC #43 on Top 50 Disrupter Companies list
This position is open to candidates authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employer. LanzaTech is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.
About the Role
The leading gas fermenting company in the biofuel and biochemical field, LanzaTech operates reactors at all scales, from the laboratory to commercial plants, including one of the largest dedicated gas fermentation R&D facilities in the world, and has pioneered bioengineering of our microbial biocatalyst on a first-of-kind anerobic biofoundry platform. The Synthetic Biology team collaborates with research teams across the organization to develop, engineer and optimize our proprietary microbes through the application of state-of-the-art genetic tools and our deep understanding of biochemistry, microbial metabolism, and metabolic engineering. We are currently seeking multiple Ph.D. level Research Scientists to join our team. In this role, successful candidates will apply their knowledge and skills in metabolic engineering and synthetic biology to continuously improve our microbes and gas fermentation process. This includes the development, application, and analysis of genetic tools and strain engineering techniques to support LanzaTech’s commercial projects and business objectives.
- Genetic modification and metabolic engineering of LanzaTech proprietary microbes for new and improved functions or molecules of interest.
- High-throughput cultivation and screening of LanzaTech proprietary microbes
- Develop research plans and design of genetic constructs, pathways and experiments.
- Work collaboratively across cross-department technical teams for project planning and execution.
- Use laboratory management systems, in-house experimental design tools, and computational tools to improve efficiency in design, execution, and interpretation of experiments.
- Maintain an up-to-date laboratory notebook tracking experiments, data, and interpretation of results.
- Mentor research associates, technicians, and interns.
- Attend seminars and participate in group and project meetings or lab activities as required.
- Present scientific findings to conferences, customers and/or potential investors as required.
- Participate in reporting, grant writing and journal article publications as required.
- Follow all safety requirements for working in the offices and laboratories, including completing any required trainings. Maintain a clean and functional laboratory space.
- Provide regular updates on project status to all stakeholders and team members.
- Ph.D., or M.Sc. plus 3-5 years of relevant industry experience in a laboratory setting, in Synthetic Biology, Bioengineering, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Chemical Engineering or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience engineering microorganisms for improved product synthesis by developing and applying metabolic engineering strategies.
- Prior experience with synthetic biology and strain engineering techniques including the design, cloning and assembly of multi-fragment DNA constructs for heterologous pathway expression, CRISPR and/or homologous recombination-based methods for strain engineering.
- Strong understanding of microbial carbon and energy metabolism.
- Independent and highly self-motivated.
- Ability to work and communicate with inter-functional teams
- Strong organizational, time management, and interpersonal skills. Ability to multi-task and keep track of multiple tasks and projects at the same time. High attention to detail and careful record keeping.
- Awareness of safety issues in the work environment.
- Experience with autotrophic microbes.
- Experience working with anaerobic microbes or industrial organisms.
- Experience with gas fermentation.
- LanzaTech Headquarters
- Skokie, IL USA