Lab Technician - Fermentation
Welcome to the Post Pollution Future with LanzaTech
A post-pollution world is inevitable, and people will either be part of it, or the planet will go on without us. At LanzaTech, our technology platform is transforming waste carbon into everyday products, to meet the needs of this moment. Our science is state-of-the-art, but the idea is simple. We use nature to heal nature. We capture carbon emissions which are then fed into bioreactors where trillions of carbon-hungry microbes go to work. These tiny dynamos consume the waste gases and produce valuable raw material commodities. Pure enough to be resold, repurposed, and recycled again — from sustainable jet fuel to beverage bottles, to yoga pants.
Founded in New Zealand, we are a global women-led company with an international footprint and a diverse employee population. Diversity, Equity & Inclusion are a key part of our mission and core values which we show through our hiring, our leadership, our efforts to educate internally and willingness to learn.
In addition, we have announced our plan to merge with AMCI Acquisition Corp. II and expect to become a publicly traded company on Nasdaq. Come join the team as we strive to make a Post Pollution Future!
Exciting collaborations with LanzaTech (LT) CarbonSmartTM Products:
- 2022 – Coty, Inc. – LT recycled carbon ethanol to be used in majority of fragrance portfolio by 2023
- 2021 – ZARA – cutting edge, high fashion black dresses made from LT recycled carbon
- 2021 – lululemon – sports apparel made from LT Recycled carbon
- 2021 – L’Oréal – partnership to make packaging with LT recycled carbon
- 2021 – Biofuels Digest #1 Hottest Company in Renewable Fuels, Chemicals & Biomaterials
- 2020 – Biofuels Digest #3 Best Company to work for in the Advanced Bioeconomy
- 2020 – Fast Company World Changing Company
- 2020 – CNBC #43 on Top 50 Disrupter Companies list
This position is open to candidates authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employer. LanzaTech is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.
About the role
Technician in the Fermentation team at LanzaTech. The position will be primarily responsible for the daily operation and maintenance of bench and small pilot scale bioreactors and associated downstream processing equipment. This position has a Being self-motivated, a fast learner, adaptable, and a team player are essential.
What you’ll do
- Adhere to all safety practices and procedures and make suggestions for improvement where appropriate
- Daily operation of bioreactors, including sampling, making media, taking measurements and readings, and monitoring incoming data
- Support bioreactor turnaround after fermentation runs are finished, including cleaning and sanitation
- QA/QC, testing, packaging, and inspection of outgoing product
- Coordinate incoming samples for raw materials and products
- Track and organize samples and retain inventory
- Suggest and assist with continuous improvement of the production facility that improves quality, productivity, and efficiency
- Maintain a clean and organized process environment
- Identify and troubleshoot operational and mechanical issues and help to fix them
Who you are
- You are excited to work at a sustainability-focused mission-oriented clean tech company.
- You have 1-3 years hands-on work experience in an R&D or manufacturing/production environment
- You have strong communication skills to share information, data, and ideas with peers and leaders
- You effectively work in a cross team environment with minimal supervision
- You have excellent attention to detail and are able to follow standard operating procedures
- Capable of time-management to complete tasks efficiently and within stated timelines.
- Associates degree or bachelor’s in biotechnology, science, or engineering program
- Knowledge of Good Manufacturing Practice a plus
- Hands on experience working with pilot scale process equipment or plumbing components
- Based out of LanzaTech’s global headquarters in Skokie, IL
- Required to lift heavy objects (up to 50 lbs)
- Be able to use personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Work in environments where heat or noise hazards are present
- Work in a potentially strong odorous environment
- Work around chemical hazards such as toxic and/or flammable gases and substances