Senior Technical Sales Engineer
Welcome to the Post Pollution Future with LanzaTech
A post-pollution world is inevitable, and people will either be part of it, or the planet will go on without us. At LanzaTech, our technology platform is transforming waste carbon into everyday products, to meet the needs of this moment. Our science is state-of-the-art, but the idea is simple. We use nature to heal nature. We capture carbon emissions which are then fed into bioreactors where trillions of carbon-hungry microbes go to work. These tiny dynamos consume the waste gases and produce valuable raw material commodities. Pure enough to be resold, repurposed, and recycled again — from sustainable jet fuel to beverage bottles, to yoga pants.
Founded in New Zealand, we are a global women-led company with an international footprint and a diverse employee population. Diversity, Equity & Inclusion are a key part of our mission and core values which we show through our hiring, our leadership, our efforts to educate internally and willingness to learn.
Now a publicly traded company on NASDAQ, come join the team as we strive to make a Post Pollution Future!
Exciting collaborations with LanzaTech (LT) CarbonSmartTM Products:
- 2022 – H&M announced their collaboration with LT with a clothing line to be launched in 2023
- 2022 – Coty, Inc. – LT recycled carbon ethanol to be used in majority of fragrance portfolio by 2023
- 2022 – DrogerieMark (dm) in Germany, launched a range of packaging for their “Denk Mit” range of dish soap
- 2022 – Danone announced a collaboration to make packaging for the Mizone water line in China
- 2022 – Craghoppers, UK outdoor company, made a fleece from recycled carbon, to be launched in 2023
- 2021 – Collaborations with ZARA, lululemon & L’Oréal using recycled carbon in their apparel & packaging
- 2022 – Winner of “Air” Category at the 23rd Annual Energy Globe Awards
- 2022 – Fix Our Climate finalist for Earthshot Prize (only US company to be a finalist)
- 2022 – Jennifer Holmgren, CEO: TiE Sustainability Entrepreneur of the Year
- 2021 – Biofuels Digest #1 Hottest Company in Renewable Fuels, Chemicals & Biomaterials
Interested in learning more? Visit us at www.LanzaTech.com and download/stream our latest CarbonSmartTM Podcast on Apple, Google, Spotify or wherever you receive your podcasts!
This position is open to candidates authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employer. LanzaTech is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.
The Senior Technical Sales Engineer plays a critical role in supporting LanzaTech’s business and project development globally through modeling and providing technical support to deliver new technologies and help accelerate customer decision-making on commercial projects. The ideal candidate will be a detail-oriented, technically-minded individual contributor with strong interpersonal skills. This role involves engaging in all phases of sales technical support, including running process models, supporting and analyzing customer requests for technical information, and identifying opportunities for process integration and optimization. This role involves translating and explaining complex technical information to customers and clients, focusing on revealing how a product can solve specific problems. This role will work closely with sales managers, engineering, and business development in identifying, developing, and achieving business objectives for the LanzaTech platform. The Senior Technical Sales Engineer will be a technical leader in the organization, and will be a driver of change and a mentor/trainer to more junior employees.
Specific Job Function and Major Activities:
- Independently lead Techno-Economic Analysis (TEA) and provide preliminary estimates of product production potential, CAPEX, Cash Cost of Production (CCOP) and utility consumption.
- Create and deliver TEA presentations and demos that clearly communicate the uniqueness of the value proposition.
- Evaluate new technologies on a technological and financial basis for integration in the LanzaTech process, and effectively incorporate the technology within the LT tools and templates.
- Develop technical presentations to address various feedstock conversion opportunities.
- Create process models in Aspen/HYSYS to enable evaluation of new technologies and separation schemes, exporting data in a usable format.
- Model the financial business case associated with each sales opportunity to compute payout time, NPV and IRR.
- Prepare preliminary layout drawings to estimate land requirements for ISBL and OSBL at the pre-sales stage.
- Develop equipment schedule, utility & chemical consumptions to facilitate preliminary cost estimation.
- Prepare Feasibility Study reports detailing technology offering, material balance, feed & product specifications.
- Work with customers and business development to understand customer needs and develop a tailored project package scope to enable robust project economics.
- Coordinate with package vendors and assess their offerings for economic and robust solutions.
- Collaborate with Engineering and Business Development to answer technical inquiries.
- Travel to customer sites and serve as customer liaison for technical presentations and Q&A.
- Identify and drive efforts to continually improve technical tools and models for existing and new processes.
- Lead efforts to create infrastructure (checklists, decision trees, manuals, templates) to support efficiency of execution of work for the department, including training modules for BD.
- Be a leader within the Commercial Development team and serve as general support to team members and onboarding of new team members.
- BS or MS in Chemical Engineering, Bioengineering or similar field.
- 8 - 15 years of work in process engineering or operations support.
- Strong knowledge of chemical engineering processes.
- Detail-oriented with the ability to gather data, set priorities, and meet deadlines
- Strong organizational, time management, and communication skills.
- Team player that thrives in a cutting-edge, fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Self-motivated with the ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and team player mentality.
- Strong knowledge of engineering cost models and project economics.
- Travel at least 20% as needed.