Welcome to the Post Pollution Future with LanzaTech
A post-pollution world is inevitable, and people will either be part of it, or the planet will go on without us. At LanzaTech, our technology platform is transforming waste carbon into everyday products, to meet the needs of this moment. Our science is state-of-the-art, but the idea is simple. We use nature to heal nature. We capture carbon emissions which are then fed into bioreactors where trillions of carbon-hungry microbes go to work. These tiny dynamos consume the waste gases and produce valuable raw material commodities. Pure enough to be resold, repurposed, and recycled again — from sustainable jet fuel to beverage bottles, to yoga pants.
Founded in New Zealand, we are a global women-led company with an international footprint and a diverse employee population. Diversity, Equity & Inclusion are a key part of our mission and core values which we show through our hiring, our leadership, our efforts to educate internally and willingness to learn.
In addition, we have announced our plan to merge with AMCI Acquisition Corp. II and expect to become a publicly traded company on Nasdaq. Come join the team as we strive to make a Post Pollution Future!
Exciting collaborations with LanzaTech (LT) CarbonSmartTM Products:
- 2022 – Coty, Inc. – LT recycled carbon ethanol to be used in majority of fragrance portfolio by 2023
- 2021 – ZARA – cutting edge, high fashion black dresses made from LT recycled carbon
- 2021 – lululemon – sports apparel made from LT Recycled carbon
- 2021 – L’Oréal – partnership to make packaging with LT recycled carbon
- 2021 – Biofuels Digest #1 Hottest Company in Renewable Fuels, Chemicals & Biomaterials
- 2020 – Biofuels Digest #3 Best Company to work for in the Advanced Bioeconomy
- 2020 – Fast Company World Changing Company
- 2020 – CNBC #43 on Top 50 Disrupter Companies list
This position is open to candidates authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employer. LanzaTech is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.
Responsible for all phases of process design work for commercial projects supporting global customers across various industries. This includes developing heat and weight balances, equipment sizing and specification, developing PFDs and P&IDs, and developing and executing project plans for delivery of engineering packages. This position will lead various engineering projects and initiatives at any given time. Coordinating with a cross-functional global team is essential to ensure that the robust process is followed, resulting in timely and accurate project execution. This role will also mentor on all engineering disciplines assigned to projects.
Specific Job Function:
- Develop and evaluate process concepts to optimize the manufacturing process.
- Interact with internal teams/ external partners / third party service providers / process equipment manufacturers to conduct process development experiments and trials
- Accountable for basic engineering packages which includes, but is not limited to:
- Process Flow Diagrams (PFD’s).
- Detailed Heat and Weight Balances for new or modified processes.
- Process and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID’s).
- Equipment lists and specifications.
- Delivering on-schedule and within project budgets
- Respond to client needs in a timely manner with technically sound positions.
- Utilize specified software, models and LanzaTech proprietary tools to size equipment.
- Validate calculations, heat and weight balances data, equipment sizing and equipment specification information pre-packaged by other Process Engineers.
- Work with plant operations personnel to troubleshoot operation issues.
- Identify, evaluate, and justify process improvement projects
- Interact with third parties such as equipment vendors, Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) contractors and industry consultants.
- Participate in or lead process HAZOPs and risk identification and mitigation activities.
- Develop and share best practices with the engineering team and throughout the company.
- Prepare accurate calculations, some of which are non-standard.
- Lead in the continuous improvement effort of LanzaTech’s design methodologies and tools to address customers’ needs and the productivity within LanzaTech.
- Provide R&D, sales, and Technical Services support, as required.
- BS in chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, or comparable engineering discipline
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and team player mentality.
- Skilled in MS Office suite and MS Project
- Able to demonstrate effective coordination, planning and organizational skills.
- Able to prioritize and plan work activities
- A valid passport is required
Process Engineer Qualifications:
- 1-2 years of experience in the position offered or similar
- Demonstrated experience with developing basic engineering packages
- Experience with specification of equipment such as reactors, tanks, heat exchangers pumps, and vessels
- Ability to gather data, set priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Working knowledge of process instrumentation, control valves, and control loops
- Self-motivated with the ability to take initiative, work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to use chemical engineering principles and technoeconomic analysis to develop and evaluate new process concepts or configurations
- Experience with fermentation, process development, and/or process operations in a bioprocessing facility
- Prior plant commissioning and start-up experience
- Track record of taking on big challenges and striving to change the world
- Able to work in a general office and desk environment
- Sitting and working at a desk for long durations
- Working on a computer for long durations
- Up to 25% of global travel is required. Some travel is for extended periods to support projects.