Process Integration Intern
Welcome to the Post Pollution Future with LanzaTech
A post-pollution world is inevitable, and people will either be part of it, or the planet will go on without us. At LanzaTech, our technology platform is transforming waste carbon into everyday products, to meet the needs of this moment. Our science is state-of-the-art, but the idea is simple. We use nature to heal nature. We capture carbon emissions which are then fed into bioreactors where trillions of carbon-hungry microbes go to work. These tiny dynamos consume the waste gases and produce valuable raw material commodities. Pure enough to be resold, repurposed, and recycled again — from sustainable jet fuel to beverage bottles, to yoga pants.
Founded in New Zealand, we are a global women-led company with an international footprint and a diverse employee population. Diversity, Equity & Inclusion are a key part of our mission and core values which we show through our hiring, our leadership, our efforts to educate internally and willingness to learn.
In addition, we have announced our plan to merge with AMCI Acquisition Corp. II and expect to become a publicly traded company on Nasdaq. Come join the team as we strive to make a Post Pollution Future!
Exciting collaborations with LanzaTech (LT) CarbonSmartTM Products:
- 2022 – H&M announced their collaboration with LT with a clothing line to be launched in 2023
- 2022 – Coty, Inc. – LT recycled carbon ethanol to be used in majority of fragrance portfolio by 2023
- 2022 – DrogerieMark (dm) in Germany, launched a range of packaging for their “Denk Mit” range of dish soap
- 2022 – Danone announced a collaboration to make packaging for the Mizone water line in China
- 2022 – Craghoppers, UK outdoor company, made a fleece from recycled carbon, to be launched in 2023
- 2021 – Collaborations with ZARA, lululemon & L’Oréal using recycled carbon in their apparel & packaging
- 2022 – Winner of “Air” Category at the 23rd Annual Energy Globe Awards
- 2022 – Fix Our Climate finalist for Earthshot Prize (only US company to be a finalist)
- 2022 – Jennifer Holmgren, CEO: TiE Sustainability Entrepreneur of the Year
- 2021 – Biofuels Digest #1 Hottest Company in Renewable Fuels, Chemicals & Biomaterials
Interested in learning more? Visit us at www.LanzaTech.com and download/stream our latest CarbonSmartTM Podcast on Apple, Google, Spotify or wherever you receive your podcasts!
This position is open to candidates authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employer. LanzaTech is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.
About the role
We have several exciting internship opportunities for eager junior biologists and/ or bioprocess engineers to join the Process Integration team during the Summer of 2023! This R&D team of scientists and engineers is responsible for initial concept development, lab testing, and scale-up of ideas to improve gas fermentation and its integration within overall process schemes. Process Integration is responsible for the pilot-scale bioreactors and engineering labs at LanzaTech headquarters in Skokie. Three sub-teams in this group are looking for interns:
Fermentation Chemistry is aimed towards optimizing fermentation conditions at lab-scale to support overall process improvements. The main project is anticipated to involve developing a procedure for use of a novel instrument to measure biocatalyst viability and performing experiments for its evaluation in comparison to currently used techniques.
New Applications is aimed towards development of new gas fermentation technology applications. The main project is anticipated to involve integrating new equipment with our existing pilot fermenter and contribute towards pilot operations and developing standard operating protocols.
Fermentation Operations is aimed towards operating pilot gas fermentation reactors and supporting systems, advising large-scale fermentation operations, and participating in experimental planning on cross-functional team-based projects. The main project is anticipated to involve design and integration of downstream separation technologies for capture of unique products.
- Prioritize safety in all activities and projects.
- Create and update standard operating procedures.
- Prepare media and dosing chemicals.
- Analyze data and draw conclusions.
- Write summary reports and present project results.
- Perform routine sample analysis using various in-house methods
- Maintain and/ or work directly on lab and pilot scale equipment.
- Develop, evaluate, and implement detailed experiments within area of responsibility.
- Analyze datasets and infer underlying chemical and biological processes.
- Effectively present lab findings to the wider science and engineering teams.
- Write up novel concepts as invention disclosures and participate in the patent application process.
- Participate in project team meetings.
- Aid in development of novel process flow schemes around gas fermentation, especially integrating with up and down-stream processes.
- Opportunity to propose, specify, and build modifications to pilot scale equipment.
- Enrolled in a degree for biological/biomolecular engineering, biology, microbiology, environmental or chemical engineering with a biology focus (e.g. bioprocess, biochemical, biotechnology) and laboratory experience
- Preferred/Valued Qualifications
- Previous laboratory and/ or bioprocess experience, working in accordance with good laboratory practices while adhering to safe standards and practices.
- Knowledge or experience of general fermentation technologies.
- Knowledge or experience of gas fermentation technology by anaerobic acetogens.
- Knowledge or experience of general microbiology.
- Capable of working effectively in a cross-team environment.
- Practical mechanical experience with lab scale process equipment.
- Demonstrated organizational and prioritization skills.
- Capable of time-management to complete tasks efficiently and within stated timelines.
- Ability to troubleshoot problems that arise in the laboratory environment.
- Proficient in standard computer programs (i.e. Microsoft Office- PowerPoint, Word and Excel).
- Physical Requirements
- Prolonged periods of standing in the lab
- Based out of LanzaTech’s global headquarters in Skokie, IL.
- Combination of Desk and laboratory work, on-site.
- Regularly working in suitable personal protective equipment (PPE) when in lab spaces.
- Work around chemical hazards such as toxic and/or flammable gases and substances when working on-site and in the lab.