Research Associate - Downstream Technology
Welcome to the Post Pollution Future with LanzaTech
A post-pollution world is inevitable, and people will either be part of it, or the planet will go on without us. At LanzaTech, our technology platform is transforming waste carbon into everyday products, to meet the needs of this moment. Our science is state-of-the-art, but the idea is simple. We use nature to heal nature. We capture carbon emissions which are then fed into bioreactors where trillions of carbon-hungry microbes go to work. These tiny dynamos consume the waste gases and produce valuable raw material commodities. Pure enough to be resold, repurposed, and recycled again — from sustainable jet fuel to beverage bottles, to yoga pants.
Founded in New Zealand, we are a global women-led company with an international footprint and a diverse employee population. Diversity, Equity & Inclusion are a key part of our mission and core values which we show through our hiring, our leadership, our efforts to educate internally and willingness to learn.
In addition, we have announced our plan to merge with AMCI Acquisition Corp. II and expect to become a publicly traded company on Nasdaq. Come join the team as we strive to make a Post Pollution Future!
About the role
We have an exciting opportunity for a Research Associate / Sr. Research Associate. The individual selected for this position will be operating new purification processes, which will contribute to LanzaTech’s ability to scale up and commercialize new chemical products based on our core fermentation products. Initial responsibilities include operation of bench and pilot scale distillation apparatus, operating analytical equipment, data processing, and troubleshooting. This position will participate on cross-functional teams with Analytical and Engineering.
This job entails execution of R&D experimental programs using analytical, laboratory and pilot scale equipment:
- Operation of separation equipment
- Operation of associated analytical equipment
- Process unit operation and data collection
- Process optimization to meet performance targets
- Documentation of experimental results
- Documentation of testing unit operation including management of change and hazard identification
- Participation in all aspects of a safe work environment
- BA/BS in chemistry or chemical engineering or equivalent experience
- Minimum 1 year industry experience, 3 years preferred
- Experience with separation technology including distillation
- Demonstrated experience with operation of lab scale chemical testing and analytical equipment.
- Hands-on troubleshooting ability and mechanical aptitude
- Team player that thrives in a cutting edge, fast paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Strong organizational, time management, and communication skills
- Self-motivated with the ability to take initiative and work independently
- Experience operating separation equipment including distillation
- Experience building, modifying and operating bench or pilot scale equipment
- Ability to work standing in the lab for 8 hours
- Ability to work on 8 ft. ladder
- Lab – primary location
- Cubical for computer work