Welcome to the Post Pollution Future with LanzaTech
A post-pollution world is inevitable, and people will either be part of it, or the planet will go on without us. At LanzaTech, our technology platform is transforming waste carbon into everyday products, to meet the needs of this moment. Our science is state-of-the-art, but the idea is simple. We use nature to heal nature. We capture carbon emissions which are then fed into bioreactors where trillions of carbon-hungry microbes go to work. These tiny dynamos consume the waste gases and produce valuable raw material commodities. Pure enough to be resold, repurposed, and recycled again — from sustainable jet fuel to beverage bottles, to yoga pants.
Founded in New Zealand, we are a global women-led company with an international footprint and a diverse employee population. Diversity, Equity & Inclusion are a key part of our mission and core values which we show through our hiring, our leadership, our efforts to educate internally and willingness to learn.
In addition, we have announced our plan to merge with AMCI Acquisition Corp. II and expect to become a publicly traded company on Nasdaq. Come join the team as we strive to make a Post Pollution Future!
Exciting collaborations with LanzaTech (LT) CarbonSmartTM Products:
- 2022 – Coty, Inc. – LT recycled carbon ethanol to be used in majority of fragrance portfolio by 2023
- 2021 – ZARA – cutting edge, high fashion black dresses made from LT recycled carbon
- 2021 – lululemon – sports apparel made from LT Recycled carbon
- 2021 – L’Oréal – partnership to make packaging with LT recycled carbon
- 2021 – Biofuels Digest #1 Hottest Company in Renewable Fuels, Chemicals & Biomaterials
- 2020 – Biofuels Digest #3 Best Company to work for in the Advanced Bioeconomy
- 2020 – Fast Company World Changing Company
- 2020 – CNBC #43 on Top 50 Disrupter Companies list
This position is open to candidates authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employer. LanzaTech is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.
About the role
We have a unique opportunity for a sustainability-focused engineer to join the Process Integration research and development group at LanzaTech. Process Integration works on novel concept development of the bioreactor and downstream processes, is responsible for the pilot labs within LanzaTech headquarters, and provides technical support to commercial gas fermentation facilities. As a member of this team the successful candidate will operate pilot gas fermentation reactors and supporting systems, travel to global sites to advise fermentation operation, participate in experimental planning, and join cross-functional team-based projects with engineering, synthetic biology, and computational biology. This position has a global travel component of up to 50%.
- Travel to commercial sites around the world to assist in commissioning and start-up of gas fermentation plants.
- Operate both lab and pilot scale fermentation reactors and downstream separation systems.
- Maintain lab and pilot scale equipment.
- Make up fermentation media and dosing chemicals.
Engineering concept development
- Aid in development of novel process flow schemes around gas fermentation, especially integrating with up and down-stream processes.
- Opportunity to propose, specify, and build modifications to pilot scale equipment.
- Aid in development of next-generation gas fermentation bioreactor design.
- Aid in development of control systems to assist in gas fermentation operations at commercial scale.
- Write up novel concepts as invention disclosures and participate in the patent application process.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering preferably with a biology focus (bioprocess, biochemical, biological).
- 3+ years of research development and/or site commissioning experience or the equivalent in postgraduate study.
- Passport & ability to travel.
- Master’s degree in microbiology, fermentation science, bioprocess engineering or a related field plus 3+ years industrial experience.
- Prior experience with the design and development of bioprocesses, especially around scale-up and process optimization.
- Knowledge or experience of gas fermentation technology by anaerobic acetogens.
- Practical mechanical experience with pilot scale and larger bioprocess equipment.
- Knowledge of analytics & instrumentation of biological processes.
- Industrial site experience commissioning & troubleshooting biological process plants.
- Experience with DCS/PLC programming and control loop tuning.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Prolonged periods of standing in the lab.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds at times.
- Must be able to traverse industrial process sites wearing safety gear.
- Based out of LanzaTech’s global headquarters in Skokie, IL.
- Overseas and domestic travel, up to 50% for operations support.
- Both desk and hands-on work in lab, pilot, and commercial sites.
- Exposure to chemical hazards such as toxic and/or flammable gases and substances when working in the lab. Possible exposure to large industrial hazards while on commercial sites.