Lab Manager - Synthetic Biology
Welcome to the Post Pollution Future with LanzaTech
A post-pollution world is inevitable, and people will either be part of it, or the planet will go on without us. At LanzaTech, our technology platform is transforming waste carbon into everyday products, to meet the needs of this moment. Our science is state-of-the-art, but the idea is simple. We use nature to heal nature. We capture carbon emissions which are then fed into bioreactors where trillions of carbon-hungry microbes go to work. These tiny dynamos consume the waste gases and produce valuable raw material commodities. Pure enough to be resold, repurposed, and recycled again — from sustainable jet fuel to beverage bottles, to yoga pants.
Founded in New Zealand, we are a global women-led company with an international footprint and a diverse employee population. Diversity, Equity & Inclusion are a key part of our mission and core values which we show through our hiring, our leadership, our efforts to educate internally and willingness to learn.
In addition, we have announced our plan to merge with AMCI Acquisition Corp. II and expect to become a publicly traded company on Nasdaq. Come join the team as we strive to make a Post Pollution Future!
Exciting collaborations with LanzaTech (LT) CarbonSmartTM Products:
- 2022 – Coty, Inc. – LT recycled carbon ethanol to be used in majority of fragrance portfolio by 2023
- 2021 – ZARA – cutting edge, high fashion black dresses made from LT recycled carbon
- 2021 – lululemon – sports apparel made from LT Recycled carbon
- 2021 – L’Oréal – partnership to make packaging with LT recycled carbon
- 2021 – Biofuels Digest #1 Hottest Company in Renewable Fuels, Chemicals & Biomaterials
- 2020 – Biofuels Digest #3 Best Company to work for in the Advanced Bioeconomy
- 2020 – Fast Company World Changing Company
- 2020 – CNBC #43 on Top 50 Disrupter Companies list
This position is open to candidates authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employer. LanzaTech is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.
About the role:
We are a rapidly growing company seeking a Laboratory Manager to enable our Synthetic Biology team to operate at maximum efficiency. This position will take responsibility for coordinating, improving and strategic planning of LanzaTech’s Synthetic Biology operations comprised of strain engineering, automation and enzymology functions by displaying excellent organizational, problem-solving, communication, and hands-on lab work skills. The successful candidate will report directly to the VP Synthetic Biology and work closely with lab managers of other R&D functions including fermentation and analytics as well as procurement, EH&S and government relations teams, external collaborators and service providers.
The ideal candidate has done benchwork related to synthetic biology, microbiology or molecular biology and preferably has some lab management or organizational experience. Familiarity with Laboratory Information Systems (LIMS) and writing grant proposals would be highly preferred. We are seeking someone who understands sample management systems, has excellent oral and written communication skills, is not afraid of tackling large projects, has a service-oriented attitude, and can adapt to changing situations and priorities. This role will actively improve our team’s ability to focus on research to advance our company wide goal of replacing petroleum derived products with renewable fuels and chemicals. If you are looking for a collaborative environment where your lab management skills will make a tangible difference on a team working to change the way the world thinks about carbon, this is the place for you!
Key Duties for the position:
- Manage Synthetic Biology Laboratory Operations by working closely with Synthetic Biology VP and coordinating between strain engineering, automation and enzymology functional groups
- Coordinate with internal and external stakeholders and partners such as other R&D functions, procurement, EH&S and government relations teams, collaborators and service providers
- Streamline existing lab space/workflows, implement experimental standards by communicating and working closely with lab members
- Contribute to grant proposals or strategic planning
- Streamline training and onboarding of new hires, oversee Laboratory Technicians
- Organize team building events, coordinate lab rosters, etc.
- Coordinate routine and experimental media support, laboratory equipment maintenance and calibration, manage strain collections and freezer monitoring, coordinate laboratory cleaning
- Keep detailed records, analyse data, present to science and non-science teams
- Make quality and process improvement suggestions and follow through to implementation
- Actively participate in laboratory work for process development and improvement
- Bachelor’s Degree, or equivalent, in Biology, Chemistry, or Biochemistry
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in a Lab environment
- Hands on experience and knowledge of principles, practices, and equipment utilized in a laboratory environment
- Experience working with Operations, EH&S, and IT teams
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to identify issues and invent solutions
- Ability to multitask and manage multiple projects
- Attention to detail with focus on accuracy and quality.
- Fluency in Microsoft Office, especially Outlook, Word, and Excel
- Minimum 2 years' experience in Lab Management
- Experience interfacing with sample management and LIMS software
- Experience with grant proposal writing
- Experience with Sharepoint
- Knowledge of Synthetic Biology and Metabolic Engineering workflows